Tuesday, 6 April 2010

Eggs

Having just bought a new camera and marvelled again at how difficult I find it to seperate money from my pockets in any substantial sums, I realised that I had been lazy enough to neglect this blog. However in the absence of any solid writing I have been doing that other fantastic research activity by reading. And what
reading it has been! John Pilger, Wilfred Burrchett, Jessica Mitford and Amira Hass. Gunter Walraff. Martha Gellhorn. Paul Foot. These journalists inspire and cut apart the accepted logic of the ruling class, standing apart from the recieved line and ignoring the press conferences to get to the real story. Amira Hass is the only Israeli journalist to live in the Gaza strip and not rely on picking bones out of communiques. Pilger is uncompromising and a thorn in the side of vested interests and corrupt greysuited men. Having then read the drivel supplied by our media daily, even from the Guardian and Independent, on the neccesity of financial instutions - indeed on their being CORNERSTONES of the educators toolbox you begin to realise the malaise affecting Great Britain.

However I can't say that I am innocent on any of these scores - my anger at injustice was just that - anger - and nothing else. I genuinely believed and was hoodwinked by many of the implanted stories in newspapers, I gave them credence and said it strengthened debate. I fervently believed that this would strengthen democracy in England. A breathtaking arrogance really, to imagine that my reading could do all that without ever having to look beyond opinion piece. That I am now wary of these pieces is not all due to these fantastic reporters but I feel a sense of shame for never wanting to get informed more deeply than a few brusque comments.

Needless to say their writing is far more spirited and passionate than my own and I distinctly recommend Pilger's work on East Timor and British arm sales. Read that.

3 comments:

Smarky David said...

Good point but awareness is often enough to foster change. Making people aware creates debate and that creates and stokes passion.

The Guardian is waff.

James said...

Every journey begins with a first step...although writing for a travel guide is hardly swashbuckling investigative stuff! Fun though. Getting hold of this information is the crucial thing; getting hold of it and putting it out there.

Anonymous said...

you're a douche